Friday, September 3, 2010

Taking it to "The Street"

The family got around to celebrating my son Alexander's 21st birthday. He decided that he wanted to to  Susan Feniger's newest restaurant Street. Ms. Feninger was one of the chefs to start Border Grill and the downtown restaurant Ciudad. As I understand it the concept behind Street is to serve "street food" from around the world.

Let me just say that this was one heckava great meal that I have had here in Los Angeles.
Allow me to go over what my family of five ate and the grade I would give them.

KAYA TOAST -  They make some toast and spread it with coconut jam. Then you have a soft fried egg sitting in a delicious soy sauce enhanced with white pepper. You break the egg and scoop up everything with the toast. A very solid B+

LAMB KAFTA MEATBALLS - About 5 medium size meatballs, with a drizzle of dates and carob molasses and served with some spiced flatbread and a beautifully salty feta. By the way the menu didn't mention the cheese. The mix of these flavors is as fine an item as I have eaten. A+

MANDOO VEGETABLE DUMPLINGS -  Sweet Potato and Kimchi filled. Eh. A grade of  C.

SHRIMP STUFFED SHITAKE MUSHROOMS - Tempura fried shitake mushrooms
filled with a shrimp mousse with ponzu dipping sauce. If you go order about three of these, that are so delicious hitting all the right notes in a wonderful dish. Secret Probation A+

BABY BACK RIBS - If you know me, you know how I feel about ribs. These are done Korean style with a miso glaze and a scallion ginger cream. Yeah I know cream and ribs? I got a couple of nibbles as the rest of the family loved these as well. A+

TATSUTAGE FRIED CHICKEN - marinated with soy, mirin, and sake crispy fried in rice batter and topped with spicy kewpie mayonnaise sauce. Was quite tasty with the chicken being nicely moist, the mayo added  a slight heat to the dish. Good but not the best. Grade of B.

SMASHED POTATOES - Not mashed potatoes, but smashed. They were ok. Potatoes can never get a grade below C.

Dessert :
THAI TEA CREME CARAMEL -  Two great tastes that taste great together. Thai Ice Tea and Flan. A++++

We also got cookies for free since it was Alexander's bday. They were nice.

As for libations? Alexander is not a drinker even with it being his birthday number 21. So we did not imbibe. All in all If you want a very satisfying meal with a Top Chef, I would definitely consider hitting Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment