Monday, September 27, 2010

Hunger Games

As a high school teacher librarian, one aspect of my job that I really enjoy is reading books that are aimed at the age group I provide service to. Last year at Woodland Hills Academy I started reading The Hunger Games. The basic premise of the book is that in either some post-apocalyptic world the United States has been divided into 13 districts. Every year each district must send two tributes (age 12-18) to fight in a battle to the death as amusement for the entire country and especially the rich and spoiled folks who live in the Capitol. Taking it cues from Lord of the Flies, 1984, and any other number of classic literature Suzanne Collins has written a book that will appeal to all ages in much the same way adults read Harry Potter or the Twilight series.


The story reminded me of one of my favorite films from Japan called Battle Royale.. In much the same as Hunger Games ,you have students finding creative and very violent ways to kill each other. Followed up by "Catching Fire" and the recently published "Mockingjay" which ended the story. I can heartily recommend this series as one that will captivate you. While it does involve the required teenage love triangle (I'm looking at you Twilight), it is not the major plot point as the main story is how violence can be considered entertainment and how the spark of a revolution can begin with an individual act.

I do not want to give anything away as part of the joy of ready this series is all of the unexpected twists and turns.

No comments:

Post a Comment